An acai bowl rich in antioxidants to make in a few minutes to travel at breakfast time!
Heading to the Caribbean!
Since the explosion of social media, acai bowls have become true leaders in healthy eating thanks to their bright colors, varied compositions, and a wide diversity of toppings. This one evokes distant flavors, mango, pineapple, coconut milk, enough to put all year round a little sun in his bowl.
To be made mainly with frozen fruits, to never run out of ingredients!
What is the acai berry?
The acai berry is a small bay with the appearance of a blackcurrant that grows mainly in the Amazon rainforests.
Rich in fiber, protein, and good fats, it is excellent for the heart, digestion, or skin tone, among many other benefits. On the taste side, the acai berry does not contain a gram of sugar which makes it particularly bitter to be consumed as it is. The acai bowl that mixes it with all kinds of fruit and toppings is therefore the ideal compromise to counterbalance this bitterness.
It is found in Brazil, usually embellished with granola, banana, and guarana syrup when it is not a salted variant with shrimp or dried fish!
Smoothie bowl, acai bowl: what are the differences?
The distinction is not in terms of taste but in texture.
More liquid, the smoothie bowl is in all respects similar to a drink whose presentation we would have changed to embellish it with toppings. Thicker, more creamy, the acai bowl on the other hand is closer to sorbet and is eaten very cold.
For a thick acai bowl, we will bet on a tiny amount of liquid and on frozen fruits that will present a better resistance to mixing. Before going to the tasting, we will place if necessary our smoothie bowl a few moments in the freezer to freeze everything.
Buy acai berries
Unfortunately, it is impossible to get acai berries outside of Brazil! Very fragile, they tolerate far too badly travel abroad.
However, specialized grocery stores offer it in the form of powder or frozen puree without additives or sweeteners, the right compromise for our recipe! Note that there is also acai juice. However, the nutritional qualities of the latter remain less interesting.
Which toppings for my acai bowl?
To vary the textures, we will ideally opt for a mixture of soft and crispy toppings.
Granola, coconut chips, fresh pollen, oilseeds, or seeds but also fresh fruit finely cut and deposited on the surface of our preparation. And sometimes to double the gluttony, we will be tempted by a few chocolate chips or a generous dash of peanut butter!
Preparation: 5 minutes.
Kcal: 389 | Fat: 13.4 g | Carbohydrates: 59.3 g | Sugar: 42.7 g | Protein: 9.3 g | Sodium: 142 mg
- 2 tablespoons of acai powder
- 1 frozen banana
- 40 g pineapple cut into pieces
- 40 g mango cut into pieces
- 1 kiwi cut into slices
- 60 ml coconut milk
- 30 g granola
- 10 g flaxseed
- In the bowl of a blender, pour the coconut milk, banana, acai powder and mix until a smooth preparation.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with fresh fruit, granola and flaxseed.
Acai bowls: Some variants
To every desire his acai bowl! The tastiest variants will include:
- The cocoa-avocado acai bowl: 100g of frozen acai puree, 1 ripe frozen banana, a quarter of an avocado, 125 ml of unsweetened almond milk, 1 pitted Medjool date, 15 g of cocoa powder. To be completed with grated coconut, banana slices, crushed cocoa and a handful of granola.
- The blueberry acai bowl: 6 g of acai powder (or 100 g of frozen puree), 150 g of frozen blueberries, 1 large frozen banana, 15 g of almond butter, 125 ml of almond milk, 5 g of chia seeds, accompanied by fresh fruit, coconut, granola and nuts.
- The acai bowl with pumpkin and papaya: 1/2 organic pumpkin, 90 g of papaya, two-thirds of a ripe banana, 100 g of frozen acai puree, 250 ml of almond milk, 15 g of maca, 15 g of ground cinnamon, 15 g of pumpkin spice.
The acai bowl can be enjoyed immediately.
It is possible to prepare in advance the base of his acai bowl and then freeze it. It will be enough to let it relax for a few moments at room temperature to be able to use it.