Only those who have followed a slimming diet know how difficult it is to stand firm and how many temptations there are to leave behind. These tips can help you prepare when it comes to carrying it out but remember that losing weight should not be an obsession, you should not despair and above all, a diet must be supervised by a professional.
1. Detect what is the reason for weight gain
To be able to lose those kilos that you have been able to catch in recent weeks, the first thing is to know what has caused this weight gain: a change in eating habits, a more sedentary time, the start of pharmacological treatment, etc. Knowing the cause of the weight gain we can apply the appropriate measures.
2. If you’ve already done a regimen find out why it hasn’t worked
Sometimes we follow a diet to lose weight without achieving our purpose. Seeing why we have failed will be a way to prepare for success. Analyzing whether you eat for anxiety or if the problems you encounter daily make you seek refuge in food will help you see where you are going wrong. If these are the reasons, seeking psychological support will help you lose dependence on food.
3. Not all diets work for everyone
A diet that has done wonders for one person does not have to be effective in another. Although an effective diet contains little amount of sugars and a good supply of whole grains, it is necessary that it is adapted to the needs of whoever is going to follow it and this can only be done by a nutritionist or an endocrinologist.
4. A diet doesn’t have to mean going hungry
We associate diets and diets with going hungry and eating “boring” things. This does not have to be the case. When it comes to following a diet, the important thing is to eat in a balanced way, healthy foods that provide us with all the nutrients that the body needs for its proper functioning. Leaving aside the presence of some pathology, in general, we do not gain weight by eating a lot, but by eating badly.
5. Beware of miracle drugs
Runaway from aggressive weight loss medications, especially those with thyroid hormones. If you have to take one, opt for homeopathic master formulas and phytotherapy, which have no side effects and are prepared according to the needs of each patient and the type of obesity they suffer from. And something very important: do not self-medicate, everything has to be supervised by a specialist.
6. Avoid diuretics
It seems counter-nonsense, but its effect is misleading and can also be harmful. Diuretics make us lose fluid, but not fat, and as soon as they are no longer taken more fluid is retained. If you have fluid retention problems it is best to reduce salt intake and drink plenty of water.
7. Do not abuse laxatives
If you want to lose weight the solution is not in laxatives. Regular use of laxatives causes the intestines to become “vague” and only work if they receive their usual dose. If you’re having trouble evacuating, it’s best to increase the amount of fiber in your diet, with fresh fruits and vegetables. In addition, laxatives end up affecting the intestinal flora.
8. Control hunger
It’s impossible not to have a hunger attack. To get away with it, when this happens choose to eat foods that do not fatten: fruit, skipped yogurts, fresh cheese, a hard-boiled egg, or salad.
9. The scale isn’t always right
When following a diet it is usual to weigh frequently to see the results. If for a few days the scale does not reflect the expected results, do not throw in the towel. You can lose weight in volume and not be reflected in the weight, measure the contour of the belly and thigh. In addition, it may be that the body is accustomed to hypocaloric diets, so it will need to get used to it. Give yourself a while.
10. The maintenance phase is as important as the slimming phase
Maintenance accounts for 50% of diet success. When the desired weight has been obtained, it is important to do the maintenance well by incorporating with caution those foods that have been eliminated in the slimming phase. And forget about sweets, white flours, fried foods, and soft drinks.
It is not always easy to follow the diet, especially if you eat outside the home. In order not to break it try:
- Before leaving home eat something that allows your diet (yogurt, fruit, fresh cheese). In this way, in addition to not arriving hungry for food, you will relieve the anxiety of eating something that is not allowed in the diet.
- Following a diet is something very personal, do not tell anyone, you will avoid phrases such as “you do not need it” or “for a day nothing happens”. Only you know how much it costs to follow the diet and how easy it is to skip it.
- Drink mineral water.
- Avoid snacks.
- Don’t look at what others eat and distract yourself by talking to people.
- In the restaurant, do not put bread and if you want to snack on something, make it some salad.
- Try to avoid looking at the menu., In a menu or on a menu always have salad and some grill. Keep in mind what you’re going to ask for.
- The second courses usually have garnish. If they are potatoes ask to change them for tomato or lettuce.
- When they come to take note, try to ask first so as not to succumb to what your companions are going to ask for.